Sunday, August 26, 2018

Saturday in Ashland

our motel

We had a standard complimentary breakfast at the motel in the morning. They do not open the door to the cafe until 7 am.  I was hoping to be able to sit at a table in the morning.

After breakfast we went on a walk at the Bear Creek Greenway.  It is a 20 mile stretch of trail.  Great for biking, Pam!!  We only walked a couple of miles and then turned around and went back.








It was nice to be out walking. It was still cool.  The air quality was much better today.

Water feature at the Waste Management Plant. Not a real heron.

We wandered through the Artisan's market.  It is like Portland's Saturday market but much smaller. Then we wandered over to the farmer's market.  
very large tomatoes

It was time for lunch. So we at at the Greenleaf.  We chose this because Greenleaf is a family name.

Note the air mask on the customer.  We saw some very fancy masks.

We ate creekside again.

I had a delicious tuna sandwich.
While at lunch when we were planning what to do in the afternoon, 

Nathan had heard about the Escape Room.  Apparently it is the newest "thing to do." They are popping up all over.  "It is a live-action problem solving game in which participants use teamwork and elements of the room to find clues and solve a series of puzzles to escape within a set time limit." We did the Ramblin Rogue Saloon mystery.  We had 1 hour to get ourselves out of the jail and solve the crime. 
 

He locked us in the jail first

When we got out of the jail we had to find other clues 

We did it in just under 1 hour.  I am not sure what the record time is.  It was a very fun thing to do. 

time for ice cream


We went back to the car to go back to the motel, for an afternoon break.  We had a nice Skype chat with Sharon and Pam.  We had a peek of baby Ella, who was sleeping sweetly. 
Played a game of 10, 9, 8 before it was time to go in for dinner.

We ate at the Top.  I did not get a picture of the restaurant, but we are up on a patio 3 flights up so we had a nice view.  The weather was great.

The wine menu said we could buy wine by the glass or bottle.  We ordered a bottle of red.  Come to fine out the menu has been wrong for years.  They only have wine on tap.  So they gave us the equivolent amount of wine in the pour.  

Before we got our food, I went down to take a picture of them on the patio.



George's salmon sandwich

I had a steak

Then we went to the Allen Elizabeth Theater for the Book of Will.  It is an outdoor theater.  We were not sure if we would get to be here or if we would be at the high school.  But the air quality was definitely better today.


The stage.  
I could tell that the performance was very well done, but I am sure that the people who knew more about Shakespeare appreciated it more than I did.  (The Book of Will: William Shakespeare’s been dead for three years. His closest friends and fellow actors deeply miss him and his beautiful plays. When a pirated, badly botched Hamlet (“To be or not to be, there’s the point . . .”) plays on a nearby stage, they realize Shakespeare’s lines are disappearing into the forgetful memory of time. What they need is a book—a definitive copy of his original plays, but to make one, they’ll have to battle an unscrupulous publisher, a boozy poet laureate and their own mortality. Lauren Gunderson’s look at Shakespeare’s First Folio is a lively, funny, poignant love letter to theatre and the printed word.)





1 comment:

  1. The bike path looks great! I laughed when I read the breakfast did not open “until” 7 a.m. .... as that’s early for some of us :)

    ReplyDelete