Saturday, October 14, 2023

Eclipse and Raptors

We took a Lyft to meet Marianne (Marianne is my friend Joyce's number 2 daughter), Sam, James, and Beth for breakfast at Denny's.  It was right next door to their motel.  

Sunrise. Maybe we will have a break in the clouds today.  


I should have taken a picture at breakfast.

After breakfast, we headed to Alton Baker Park via Lyft for the eclipse viewing.  We kept telling the kids that there were swings and playgrounds.
Birds waiting for the eclipse or as James said, "birds on the zipline!" 




James


  We found a good spot that was fairly open and then we waited.






We were lucky.  We did get glimpses!! It was fun.  I don't think that the kids were very impressed..  Because of the clouds we never needed the eclipse glasses.

But ... Where are the swings?!!! We finally found them. Clear at the other end of the park.  Nathan walked and I went in the car with Marianne and the gang.
Beth

Sam & Beth


But James liked his sticker book better.  


Marianne & Beth

We had heard about Eugene's Raptor Center so we decided to go there. Another Lyft ride.  



My favorite was the barn owl.  It was a nice place and they did a lot of talking about the birds and what they do.  It was interesting.  But I felt like the cages were too small so that the birds could not fly much.  Apparently, they do take the trained ones out to fly more independently.


Another Lyft ride to lunch.  We headed to the Lion and Owl.  It seemed appropriate but it was booked, so we walked to Pippi Anatolia which is a Greek-Indian restaurant.  I think that we all ended out ordering Greetk.

I had the shrimp pita,


While we were there my cousin, Elaine, came to visit. That was fun.  We had a nice time reconnecting. 

Elaine Bernat (my cousin on my dad's side)

 After lunch, Marianne and the gang headed home and we walked to the train station.  We walked through the Saturday Market on our way.  We enjoyed the art along the way.



Pre-halloween


Train station

The train headed back to Portland at 4:30 pm 
Crossing the Willamette coming into Portland.

George met us.  We stopped by Nathan's so that he could pick up a few things and then we headed home. 

1 comment: