Wednesday, April 16, 2014

things I forgot to mention

This church has been making pasties since the 1920s as a fund raiser.  This is actually the thing that keeps the church afloat.  They make them once a month October through April (not December).  This is a small church so having 30-40 people involved is 1/3 to 1/2 their church membership.  They have a team of people who call people who have ordered before and ask them how many they want.  The April order is always the largest because it is the last one until October.  People want to stock up.  They always make a few extra.. They are usually doing 700-800 but this time was 961.  Jeanne and Jay have been involved for years but have recently become the organizers.  There are always people who order and then forget to come pick them up and people who want more than what they ordered and then people like me who just spontaneously bought some.  They have been using the same recipe since the beginning with very little change.  It is a Cornish recipe which is odd because this has such a huge Scandinavian population.

The week before I came, the temperature was in the 50s and I thought I checked to see that the pattern was continuing but either I did not check well enough or my weather predictor was wrong, because it has been cold.  It got up to 29 yesterday and 23 the day before.  I did not bring my winter coat.  So no walking for me.  

1 comment: