Saturday, September 19, 2020

Friday, Sept 18

 

This morning was a little frustrating for me.  This may all be TMI so feel free to skip this next paragraph.  

I was scheduled to do my volunteer work with Viva Village (12-3 pm CDT).  Since it is on-line, currently, I thought that it would not be a problem to continue to do it while I was here.  I tested my netbook at home and everything all set-up and I thought that I had checked everything. I checked it again right before I left home.  I had it set up using the Firefox browser.  George had this all set up so that my viva village stuff would not change my personal stuff.  Not that I understand any of this.  Anyway, in the few days between checking it and needing it, Firefox did an automatic upgrade!! Bah!  NOTHING WORKED!! After multiple calls to George I switched over to Microsoft Edge as my browser for my Viva Village stuff. Then I had to get it all set up again with my tabs.  I had to call Kathy (my Viva Village authority) to re-sign in. Whew.  Finally I got it all set up and working .... I thought.  But I found that everything worked except all the documents in One Drive were now Read Only.  I could not add, edit or copy anything that I needed.  After multiple more conversations with George, we discovered that this is an unfixable problem.  Apparently I had not actually tested this at home so it never was working.  When I tested it I opened One Drive and it looked ok but I never tried to edit anything in it.  The solution was to use Jeanne's laptop to get what I needed from One Drive and email it from her computer to my netbook so that I could edit and send.  What a pain.  What was supposed to be a 3 hour casual stint ended out being about 5 hours and not casual (until I got it figured out and working).  But now everything is all set up.  I had volunteered to do an additional stint on Monday.  It should be much easier because everything is set up and I have told Viva Village that I would not be doing the stuff needing the One Drive. 

In the midst of all that we did take a lunch break. Jeanne was very patient with me and was properly sympathetic with my ranting and raving.  She got a lot of her stuff done while I was occupied. 

We finally had time to take our daily walk.  It is so nice to have good weather.  We had covered the beans again, since it was to get down to freezing.  It was a little chilly.  It is nice to hear that the Portland air quality was gradually improving and I heard that it rained!!  



We had a nice zoom call with Connie, Judy, Jeanne and Marsha.  Jeanne knows all of my friends so it has been nice to include her on these zoom conversations. 

Jeanne fixed a delicious dinner of pork chops, mashed potatoes and carrots.  Yummy. She is certainly feeding me well.  

A family of deer came by.


After dinner we had a chance to work on a puzzle.  This was our first chance.

4 comments:

  1. What a challenge trying to do your volunteer work...glad you finally figured it out somewhat but sounds frustrating. Nice that you finally got to start on the first puzzle of your trip. AQI is down to 20 here this morning...kinda like Ely! What a relief!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cloudy here, but rain clouds, not smoke clouds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounded so frustrating! Wonderful news about the rain and improved air quality! We had an earthquake here last night, reminded me of your visit years ago. This one only a 4.6, no injuries. But it started with a jolt and shook and made lots of noise so I was a bit unnerved!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad about the Viva Village work!

    ReplyDelete