Thursday, March 14, 2024

A long day from Mumbai to Miraj

 


Breakfast



The driver, Sonu, came to pick us up.  I had requested drivers who spoke English. So far none of them had. They were all good drivers.  I made a point of requesting on this long trip that our driver be able to speak English.  They had to do some rearranging and I guess we hurt some feelings but Sonu does speak English.  We could ask questions.  It worked out much better.
More flamingos




About half way to Pune we stopped at a rest stop at Lonavala.  

Chikkis are kind of like peanut brittle but they make it with a variety of nuts.


There are a lot of flowering plants along the road.  It is hard to believe since it is so dry.



A lot of motor cycles and scooters on the road and many more women drivers than the last time I was in Mumbai. 

There is street art everywhere

We went through 5 tunnels on our way to Pune.  The cars all put on their hazzard lights while going through tunnels.  
We drove by the statue of Liberty too quickly. I did not get a picture.

We saw the area of land that was being leveled for a new airport.  They hope to have it for international flights and keep the old once for domestic.  Though I don't know how they will handle people coming in on international and then transferring to domestic.

We got to Pune about 12:30 pm We were meeting Akshay (Rebecca's "son") and his sister, Renuka.

I had filter coffee while waiting

George had a Thumbs Up (like a coake)
Akshay came with garlands for each of us.

Rebecca and Ranuka


Renuka likes doing selfies: Renuka, George, me, Rebecca, and Akshay.

I had a grilled veggie sandwich.  Now how could they make that spicy!!?? But they did,  Whatever ketchupy stype sauce had chili sauce in it.  Other than that it was quite tasty. We ordered a bunch of food for Akshay and Renuka.  Akshay took all the left-overs home.  They "parceled" it up for us.



We drove Akshay back to his work.  It ended out being quite a bit out of our way.  But Rebecca wanted to do that.  They went in to a Starbucks before saying good-bye.  



It was going to be at least a 6 hour drive on to Miraj, so I really wanted to get moving.  We finally headed out at 3:30 pm.  Or driver was very patient with all of these changes.  He did not get any lunch while he was waiting for us to eat.  He couldn't find parking so he had to stay with the vehicle.  We did make a rest stop after about an hour and he could buy a lunch.



Rebecca has trouble with the AC in the car so we have had it off.  I was hot.  But now Rebecca can hardly talk because of the AC.  She was all bundled up.  

Lots of very helpful signs like "Please Observe Lane Discipline" and "Impatience on the road means In patients in hospital"

Phones are called mobiles. Hotel means restaurant and lodging means hotel. You parcel up left-overs.  Normal water means not hot or not bottled. The most common car on the road is a Suzuki.  Otherwise a lot of Toyotas, Hyundai, and Boleros (Indian made car).  People lift up the car wipers when they park at night. Because it is dusty and sometimes they get washed.  



We got to Miraj at 9 pm.  The director of the hospital and her husband met us.  They assigned a room to the driver as well.  They gave use multiple tiffin carriers with our dinner.  They were very generous with food.  A lot of bananas and apples. 4 tiffin carriers.  We gave one to the driver.  

The Fletcher Guest House was run down when I came though in 2016 but now it is really run down.  Sorry Don,  No hot water, I have to unplug the bathroom light to plug in my coffee pot.  They brought us TP and a couple of empty mugs on request.  Most of the lights don't work.  The sink doesn't drain.  Oh well. 





The people were friendly and very generous with food.  We had rice, chapati, dal, some curry, and sambar. Lots of bananas, apples, and waters.

It was dark so I did not take many pictures.  Rebecca went straight to bed.  She grabbed an apple.  I would not trust the apple. I had a banana.  Very yummy. 

It is hot.  At least the fans work.  They do have AC but the windows don't shut.  So we aren't running the AC.  

2 comments: