First to see a ruins then to see the famous golf course. I guess this is the birth place of golf. On the way we passed a sign "Where Kate met Wills" We drove by to quickly to get a picture.We had about an hour to wander around St Andrews. We went down to the beach.
These are lugworm castings. They were all over the beach.
Then we drove on to Pitlochry. We found a deli where we could buy sandwiches to go and then we walked down to the salmon ladder.
a good sandwich shop
We fund a hallway at the fish ladder. This the only place under cover.
No salmon today. This would have been more fun if it had not been raining. I had a cheese and apple chutney sandwich and carrot and coriander soup. 3rd day with carrot soup. All 3 so different. I liked this one the best.
Then at 1:30 pm we went on to Blair Castle. Quite an impressive building but frustrating because we were not allowed to take pictures inside. After a quick spin through the house, I went outside to walk the grounds. they were beautiful.
Again it would have been more enjoyable if it had not been raining. Then at 3:30 pm we left to go on to our hotel. This place has a lot of character. Much more comfortable than our last place but I think we are finding that the wifi is spotty. It is way out in the boonies. After checking in some of us went to a sheep farm to see how the sheep farmer sheers the sheep and how trained his dogs are. Very impressive dogs. fun time. cute dogs.
He had some 30 dogs. Each had a different whistle
He showed us how the dogs could bring the sheep in and make them go left or right. Which dogs would do what just by this whistle or call. He had one old blind dog that worked by hearing.
Brought the sheep in very close
He showed us how to sheer the sheep. This one was so relaxed.
Nathan got to try his hand at this
Then he brought out the puppies. He had 2 different age puppies. They sure were cute
Then back to the hotel for a delicious dinner. I ordered all the things with Scottish in their name.
Scotch Egg
Scottish Salmon - It was ok but I liked Nathan's mushroom stroganoff better so we switched
Scottish Clanachan - a berry mousse
The sun came out after dinner. We went for a nice walk.
Aww the puppies are so cute!! Everyone seems to be having a nice time.
ReplyDeleteToo bad about the rain but it looks like you were all dressed for it at least! Those are mighty cute puppies - bet it was neat seeing the grown dogs do their herding thing! I'm looking foward to watching the clip of the blind one herding when I can watch from my desk top. Fun to order all Scotch named foods but nice that Nathan was willing to switch!
ReplyDeleteIt sure is gorgeous and very green where you are. Fun to see the clip with the sheep. Looks like some tasty choices for your "Scottish" themed meal! I also have to give you kudos for trying the haggis the other night. I looked up the ingredients and I am not sure I could convince myself to take even one bite! Maybe sometimes it is just best not to know. Enjoying all the pictures and the blog!
ReplyDelete