Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Cutty Sark, Prime Meridian and a Maze

Today was another full day.  It started with a nice complimentary breakfast.  I had the traditional English Breakfast.  Not sure that I need baked beans with my scrambled eggs.

We walked to Victoria Underground Station.  We bought 3 Oysters (metro system tickets).  They are re-loadable.  It was a good thing because we went on a lot of them today.  Circle line to Westminster, Jubilee line to Canary Wharf, DLR train to Island Gardens.  We then walked on the Thames Path that went under the Thames to Greenwich Village.
note the cyclist and the no cycling sign.

We toured the Cutty Sark, \


sailors quarters

Then walked to the Royal Observatory. Saw where the Prime Meridian line was.  Took our picture,



This is a sundial.  See where the shadows meet
We had a light lunch at the Maritime Museum. We toured it once we were through with lunch.


Then we had a boat ride that took us west on the Thames to the Eye stop where we caught the train to Hampton Court, actually 2 trains.

We got there in time to get lost in the Hampton Court maze.  That was fun.  We also wandered around the gardens some.


side gate

training a pear tree to grow up a wall


Then reversed the process back home.  After we got home and freshened up a bit we ask the hotel receptionist about restaurant recommendations.  We asked about a traditional English meal.  She suggested the Duke of Wellington.  It was very close.  I hate to say it but that is about the only thing good I could say about it.  Well, the beer was good.

I had a bacon cheeseburger, George had a veggie burger, and Nathan had the fish and chips.  Back to the hotel to relax.  It is a nice evening.  It was raining when we were on our way to Hampton Court but it stopped by the time we got there.  It was chillier today than I had expected.  Never seem to dress quite right.
London has its Duck Tours as well.
sunset view out the window.

4 comments:

  1. Nathan looks a wee bit cramped in those sailors quarters :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim and the girls went on that Ferris wheel while I stayed on the ground ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. "No cycling" must mean something different in London ;>}! Could you say Nathan was "split" over prime time? Nice photos all around sounds like a wonderful day, besides the "traditional" English cheeseburger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a full day! And lots of different modes of transportation. Was Nathan happy with his traditional fish & chips?

    ReplyDelete